Gold Process Plant Digitization for Production Improvement.
The customer is a mid-tier Indonesian based mining company engaged in exploration, mining and mineral processing of gold and silver bullion. The site had an operating capacity excess of 4 mtpa of ore to produce in excess of 300,000 oz. of gold per annum but was looking to embrace a digital application to help improve production.
The mine management had a strong desire to increase its process plants production through the use of a digital application. The process plant had limited information available to formulate improvement initiatives with only limited technology in use. The challenge was presented to implement a digital technology solution for operations compliance, with a further view to increase production in a sustainable way. The application had to cover all aspects of a typical mine operations system requirements, taking into account local resources.
MPPIglobal’s complete Optimum software suite was implemented at the site as an integrated mining execution layer across the existing conventional carbon-in-leach gold ore processing plant. The solution covers typical requirements of a process plant such as downtime reporting, metallurgical accounting, production budgeting & forecasting, automated reporting, reconciliation, visualization of data, historian capability, data warehousing, shift handovers, data integration and continuous improvement etc. The Optimum platform also offers more advanced functions aligned to production improvements such as the theory of constraints, overall equipment effectiveness and a dedicated continuous improvement solution as a native module within the Optimum platform.
The Optimum Software Modules implemented are:
Downtime - Downtime, Delay Accounting, Maintenance Reliability Module.
Defect Elimination - Automated Continuous Improvement Module.
Reporting - Integrated Data Reporting Module.
Analytics - Analytics, Graphing, Data Manipulation & Trending Module.
Data Portal - Software Integration, Data Management and Historian Module.
CPEM - Critical Process and Equipment Reliability Module.
discovery process to develop a functional specification for the site requirements incorporating the design of solutions, integration requirements, architecture layout, a change management plan, a training plan and an ongoing support plan. The Optimum platform modules were then configured by MPPIglobal’s engineering team to meet the functional requirement. Comprehensive user acceptance testing and functional testing was conducted on all required applications. The training and change management plan was ramped up towards the commissioning phase of the project, with all stakeholders receiving training in system use.
Functional deliverable as part of the implementation phase was:
- Equipment downtime recording and production loss calculations.
- Equipment performance data such as availability and utilization.
- Equipment metric data such as MTTR, MTTF, OEE.
- Metal accounting and reconciliation connected to the lab.
- Automated continuous improvement process triggering events based on loss type and size.
- Automated reporting for production, continuous improvement, and critical process excursions.
- Real-time production-based dashboard displays through the plant.
- Data storage, warehousing and historian capability.
- Software integration connections as required
- Production budgeting and forecasting capability.
- Shift logs and handovers
- Critical parameters management with automatic emails.
The results are based on the 12 months performance data after complete deployment of Optimum software solution.
- Recovery was increased by 2.3% from 81.2% to 83.5%.
- Mill throughput rate was increased by 9% from an average of 603t/h to 665t/h
- Availability increased from 91.2% to 91.9% representing an additional 7.5 days.
- Gold production was increased from 310,550 Oz to 355,377 Oz representing an increase of 13% production.
- The project supported additional revenue generation of approximately USD$50,000,000.00
- Project ROI is estimated to be < 1 week.